Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Big Sister

I wrote this late last night, I have tendencies toward being a 'weepy' drunk, so I hope you'll forgive my sentimentality. There is something about writing poetry that makes me feel like I'm in grade school again, I'm such and amateur, LOL.



Big Sister


She was a wonderful big sister,
she helped plan for you with thoughtful care.
She thought of everything a baby needs
always a sense of excitement in her air.

She was a wonderful big sister,
she helped me fold and sort your clothes.
We would sing to you as you would kick,
we'd laugh at all your throes.

She is a wonderful big sister,
she talks of you each day.
She wonders why you left so soon,
she asks us why you couldn't stay.

She is a wonderful big sister,
she keeps her mommy and daddy strong.
She gives us hugs and grieves with us
when for you we long.

She is a wonderful big sister,
she keeps our days so bright
with lots of talk and laughter
she helps to keep our dreams in sight.

She'll be a wonderful big sister
to any new babies who come our way
but we all know deep in our hearts
she'll always be a your big sister either way.

2 comments:

Julia said...

My daughter too is a wonderful big sister to her baby brother who didn't get to come home. It's almost a year for us now.
I am sorry our girls have so much in common. I am sorry for the death of your beautiful Myles.

anarchist mom said...

Me too. My daughter was so excited, and we fueled it without regard. I don't know if I regret it or not, getting her hopes up so. My BF had a baby the other day, and Simone confided to me in the car that she just wanted to take it home with us, sigh. She really earned a little bro, she sacrificed so much. I wish she had gotten her wish. She is a wonderful big sister, taking care of us though we grieve so deeply every day. I wish she could be a big sis in the way I had imagined, but I am no less proud.